Sewing gets to be dull if you have dull scissors – takes twice the time and results in unprofessional work. A dull scissors can mar your sewing experience. Enough reasons to get sharpened scissors.
Maintaining the scissors in tip top condition is as important as sharpening scissors after they have dulled. Checkout the pointers given below to that end.
- Select the best scissors that you can afford. A heavy duty angled scissors which is real sharp is an investment that you will not regret. Checkout the different kinds of cutting tools you need for sewing
- If you have fabric scissors, under no circumstances, cut anything other than fabric and never ever paper.Keep paper scissors for paper and fabric scissors for fabric . A long lasting scissors with sharp teeth will thank you for this small mercy
- Never ever wet your scissors . If you think a wash is what your scissors want when it gets dirty with lint and dirt you are not right up there. Moisture will create rust and your scissors will be damaged for good before long. Just a wipe with a soft dry cloth is all the TLC it wants
- Remember to remove all the pins from the fabric where you will be cutting . When the blades of the scissors try to cut pins , they are dulled .
- Donot ( try to) drop the scissors . Like anything the scissors are susceptible to damage after a fall. The screw may come loose and the alignment of the blades will be missed
- Never cut sticky tape or brown tape with your fabric scissors. The stickiness will not go easily and you will be left with a not so effective cutting tool
- Oil the scissor screw once a month ( once a week if you use it frequently) with a drop of sewing machine oil. Open and close the scissors a couple of times to make sure the oil gets in the right places and wipe down with a clean soft cloth
- Donot try to take apart the scissors if you are not absolutely sure what to do. The little parts may be difficult to put together again.
How to Sharpen scissors
If your scissors is just lightly dull and you want to give it a new life, one easy and effective method is to cut fine grit sand paper with it . Do it a couple of times with long cuts ie you cut it in one go the whole blade coming in contact with the sand paper and repeat this cut some ten times . You will notice that your scissors blades are a lot more sharper.
If the scissors are really dull take the scissors to a professional . The sewing machine dealer near you will have one know or know where you can find one.
Or you can be brave enough to do it yourself . Checkout the videos given below ; The first one uses a sharpening stone to sharpen the scissors
In the next video sandpaper placed on a glass sheet is used to sharpen the scissors.