If you decide to sew your own underwear, two things will happen for sure –
1. You will never be short of fresh underwear and
2. You will always have the cloth to sew them with – You can use all those t-shirts destined for the junkyard in your sewing.
These things aside, the patterns and tutorials listed below make sewing them so easy that you will never have to shop for ready-made underwear again.
Suppose you feel slightly more adventurous, skip the knit fabrics or old t-shirts and sew them in satin. If you are more advanced in sewing, use spandex fabric.
Some points to remember when sewing with knit fabric are
- Wash the fabric before sewing if it is new, as knit may shrink after the first wash.
- Use a ballpoint needle only.
- Do not stretch as you sew (you may have a tendency to do that because of the nature of the cloth), as this will make your garment skewed.
- Use a very small seam allowance (1/4 inch and lesser) as more will cause bulking up.
- Use a narrow and short zigzag when sewing the seams for it to be strong.
Related post : 40 Different types of Underwear.
In this article I will cover:
- DIY Pant Patterns and tutorials
- Panty tutorial
- Lace Bandeau Knickers tutorial
- Sewing underwear
- Easy panty tutorial
- Lace edges for panties
- Sewing underwear – 2T/3T size
- Thong tutorial
- Sewing cute underwear from old
- Simple Bikini
- Panties pattern
- Panties pattern
- Sew your own panties
- Lacy Underwear
- Make your own panties
- Make your own panty tutorial
- Hip hugger pants pattern
- Panties -Free pattern
- Rosy Ladyshorts Pattern
- Bikini Pants tutorial
- Child Boxer
- Lace underwear making
- Thongs Pattern
- Free Hipster Pattern
DIY Pant Patterns and tutorials
A very detailed tutorial that tells us how to reverse engineer old underwear to make the new pattern – this one is my favorite. You will surely want to start making them fast.
The author says it took her just 10 minutes to sew it up , but I cannot believe it – it is so very beautiful it cannot be so easy to sew.
This tutorial gives us all we know about sewing elastic – ordinary elastic, picot edging, and fold-over elastic. Very much needed info if you want to sew the underwear.
Free patterns and clear instructions to sew them with – what more do you want to start sewing.
This very generous blogger has written very clear instructions on how to make underwear with patterns to make it in your size.
Sewing underwear : adding lace inserts
You can make the pattern for your underwear yourself – A very inventive method of making the pattern.
A great detailed tutorial about using stretch lace on the edges instead of elastic
Pattern for a small girl’s underwear. Make this with the old clothes you have in your stash.
Make your own panty tutorial
Hip hugger pants pattern
Clear instructions to make your own underwear pattern to suit your size from an old underwear
This is a very, very good pattern with a complete pattern and detailed instructions.
This is a simple and easy-to-sew boxer pattern that can be adapted for girls.
As the name suggests, these are Panties made from Handkerchiefs; so many possibilities.
This one is a pattern for a 5-6 year old’s boxers.
Beautiful pattern to sew hipsters . A must ‘save’ in your pattern folder – this one is free, cannot believe it.
You might want to take care of your undergarments to extend their lives by way of washing and caring for them properly. Checkout the following posts on the best way to wash and care delicate clothes. If you are in a hurry you might just want to pop all of your laundry into a washing machine instead of hand washing them , I won’t blame you – you can make this laundry bag and put them in the washing machine without a care of damaging them