If you decide to sew your own underwear, two things will happen for sure -
1. you will never be short of fresh underwear and
2. you will never lack for the cloth to sew them with - all of those tshirts destined for the junkyard can be used in your sewing.
These things aside, the patterns and tutorials listed below makes sewing them so easy I do not think you will ever have to shop for ready made underwear ever again.
If you are feeling slightly more adventurous skip the knit fabrics or old t shirts and sew them in satin.
Some points to remember when sewing with knit fabric are
- Wash the fabric before sewing if it is new, as knit may shrink after the first wash
- Use a ballpoint needle only
- Do not stretch as you sew( you may have a tendency to do that because of the nature of the cloth), as this will make your garment skewed
- Use a very small seam allowance (1/4 inch and lesser) as more will cause bulking up
- Use a narrow and short zigzag when sewing the seams, for it to be strong.
Do check out this detailed article on how to sew with knit on your regular sewing machine.
DIY PANTY PATTERNS AND TUTORIALS
This tutorial gives us all we have to know about sewing the elastic - ordinary elastic, picot edged, and fold over elastic. Very much needed info if you want to sew the underwear.
Rosy Ladyshorts Pattern
This is a very very good pattern with complete pattern download and detailed instructions
You might want to take care of your undergarments to extend their lives by way of washing and caring for them properly. Checkout the following posts on the best way to wash and care delicate clothes . If you are in a hurry you might just want to pop all of your dirty laundry into a washing machine instead of hand washing them , I won't blame you - you can make this laundry bag and put them in the washing machine without a care of damaging them